26.11.06

the zoo

So, I was able to spend some time at the St. Louis Zoo today, something I never did when I actually lived here, and I was able to think on all sorts of subjects while walking around. First, the zoo is free, which is of course directly related to the many taxpayers who make such a thing possible. Many of the exhibits are in large part created from the donations of wealthy families or businesses in the area; however, the mere costs of upkeep must be quite substantial, and therefore contingent upon the citizens. I think this is a marvelous way to use such monies. After all, much research and general information concerning the environment and preservation is initiated through establishments such as zoos. Second, I was constantly considering the majesty of nature. This was by far not my first zoo experience. Being somewhat of an animal enthusiast, I knew precisely what I was in for. Sed contra: Many of the exhibits I observed excited a feeling of disgust for me. Seeing the descriptions of so many animals that contained the word "endangered" made me quite loathsome for the human race. I witnessed both elephants and sea lions performing tricks for food in front of large crowds of show-hungry primates (humans) knowing good and well that if in the wild these creatures would be part of a natural order that is bereft of artificial boundaries, highly limited space and strollers full of obnoxiously attentive kids. I just wish they were able to thrive naturally. Third, it was damn nice to get outside for a while and enjoy some fresh air. The amount of people that bitched about the odor from the monkeys or the penguin exhibit was baffling, considering how desensitized they are to the odor stemming from pollutive sources all over the city. Fourth, I will remember some of the scenes today for a long time. I witnessed an ostrich nearly attack a giraffe (it chased the giraffe in circles and then just stared at it for about five minutes with its feathers in a ruffle). I saw four hippos that were quite active, walking around on land and swimming back and forth through the water with astounding grace. I was also privileged enough to see the maternal instincts of an orangutan with her child as she was approached by zoo staff, that ended in an embrace that resembled the most heartwarming moments of human life. Overall, it was a great way to kill an afternoon and take my mind off of trivial matters such as school and finances. I wish my dad could be with me instead of couped up in a damn hospital.

b

No comments: