i don't know if any of you have had the chance to hear about the new video from an Al-Qaeda deputy, but it is just fantastic (intended with great sarcasm). First off, the video means to challenge George W's decision to send 20, 000 more troops over to Iraq. The Al-Qaeda official challenges Bush to send the entire army, claiming that victory will be had in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The video also calls on all Muslims to either bear arms or support those who do in defending Islam. I am not wild about sending more troops, actually, I down right loathe the idea. I feel like the fighting and involvement in Afghanistan is for the most part forgotten and all the focus is in Iraq. Not to mention that we have had most of our deaths overseas in the past six months, and that number seems to be increasing all to rapidly. While I tend to be very sympathetic towards Muslims, this type of propaganda (in a neutral sense) frightens me. I wish that I could say that no one is attacking Islam per se, but I am not so sure of that fact. Interpreting the war as such isn't as far fetched as I wish it were. Sometimes I just sit back and wonder, when the hell is this shit going to stop? Are we really making much of a difference in Afghanistan or Iraq? Is it a positive or negative difference?
On that note, I saw the video of Hussein's hanging. It was very disturbing. I am not one for the death penalty, but sometimes I feel like he deserved it. I actually tear myself up sometimes with issues such as this. Then again, who am I to even have an opinion? Saddam was obviously a tyrant of sorts, so can we blame his own country for calling for his head? Is there a universal ethic? Who the hell knows?
b
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A universal ethic...that is unteresting to think about. I mean we can not put a universal standard on all people (at least that's what I believe) so then I guess we can not have a universal ethic. But we can ask for a universal respect of diversity. I don't know....
I am not trying to impose an ethic of said proportion, just asking if there is one. I like to think that somehow all belief systems have some sort of connection through humanity. Part of the way I understand that is through morality.
Post a Comment