4.12.06

BEER - food for thought

It hasn't recently been the case that I pamper myself by reading a new book. You see, usually I am very directed in the the material I pick up and bury my face in. Generally it is a work of theology or philosophy that I have been required to read for a course or must read in order to write a paper. Being back in St. Louis for the month, I have again been blessed with the opportunity to drink Schlafly beer. Schlafly is local to St. Louis and only found in the surrounding region. I went for dinner and drinks at their larger brewery and found that the founder/owner had just published a book about starting the company: A New Religion in Mecca: Starting a Renegade Brewery in St. Louis. The book is only about a hundred pages long, but it was quite inspiring. Tom Schlafly has a liberal arts degree (Lit) and a J.D. He has an uncanny ability to present things simply as they are, using his degrees in ways he never thought were possible while doing something he loved so much. In addition, supporting Schlafly I feel like I get to stick to the corporate man. Everyone is well aware that Anheuser-Busch is located in St. Louis, but their beers all suck. Schlafly attempts to use products from local farmers, organic products even in their brews, and supports a variety of lifestyles in their menu items. Not that anyone will care, but I found this book inspiring on a number of levels, you will probably be hearing about some of them in the near future.

b

No comments: