I have heard in the recent news that many people are concerned with what might become of the Big Easy in the years subsequent Katrina. There is a possibility say some analysts (mostly economic and demographic) that New Orleans will only exist at half its size in the future and if there is any growth it would be minimal. Others say that in time the city can return to its "greatness". Much concern focuses attention on the loss of culture that would go along with the loss of so many inhabitants. Long-residing locals are afraid to return due to the astounding crime rate that was already a problem pre-storm. I share the opinion that New Orleans should not overwork its inhabitants and surrounding regions in order to rebuild. Some things just need to take their course. I fear for the safety of residents of the area just from watching my local news, I couldn't imagine what it must be like there. The storm was a natural catastrophe, which was more than likely enhanced by over-development along the coast. Maybe this was supposed to happen in a certain sense. Not to say that I do not grieve, but I just don't think it such a great idea to rebuild that region so quickly. Let me know what you think, whether agree or disagree.
b
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think at this point it can't be considered a rebuilding....it is more of a building up of a new city. I think that when it is understood by people to be that, the speed in which they do it may slow down. I think right now people are yearning for what once was because that is how our nation runs. We are a nation of people who think that life was always better "back then" and that have a need to prove that we are strong....we are the strongest...we will beat those that come against us (even if it is the weather).
Post a Comment